Sunday, September 1, 2013

Introduction

    "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it." - Bertrand Russell

    Hello! Welcome! This is a new blog made by me. If you're reading this, you've probably seen my other blog, Cookies for Breakfast. That blog is my everything blog. It's my, "Here's what I thought would be fun and hope that you might also think is fun as well maybe" blog. 

    Hopefully this blog will be much more structured. Hopefully. I started out wanting to do a blog specifically about philosophy because, well, philosophy is awesome. 

    I quickly realized I wouldn't be able to follow through with this goal. While I am passionate about studying philosophy and find it wildly engaging, I'm not actually all that well versed in the topic. I also realized that my other main passion, theology, while often coupled with philosophy, would bleed into most everything I would write on the subject.


    So there's two reasons I'm not doing a blog on just philosophy. One, I have a hard time staying on topic in everything I do. Two, I didn't want to be accused of confusing theology and philosophy. I know the difference, obviously, but I tend to blend my theological ideas into any philosophical ideas I have because of my love for my God and my desire to tell others of my crazy awesome ideas about Him.

    I'm also a history nerd and I love science, specifically physics and psychology. And I'm huge into video games. And Doctor Who. And cookies. Really, I love all sorts of things. Most people love all sorts of things. 

    So in the interest of preserving my integrity and pulling in a larger reader base, I decided to keep my options open. I was recently counseled by a professional blogger (how awesome is that job?) to find a niche to speak to and not just write about whatever comes to mind. Solid advice, my friend, solid advice. 

    I guess my niche will be people who want to be challenged to think differently about topics they thought they had a grasp on. I want people to see things through a different lens, to look at a particular topic in a new light and think, "Huh. He's got a point there. That challenges my worldview, and I enjoy that immensely."

    I'm not out to completely change how you look at the world necessarily (although if I do, hooray!), but rather I would like to get you thinking alternatively. While I am fiercely conservative in my political views, I try very hard to view others point's of view, and I'm happy when I can. I don't usually appreciate abstract expressionist art, but I always at least attempt to view it with the same awe that so many others obviously do before I pass it off as contrived bullshit.

    And really, that's what philosophy is all about: trying to get a grasp of the world around us using our minds. According to Plato, Socrates once said, "Wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder." I could write an entire article on that phrase, and probably will sometime; the point is, I can (and will) talk about any number of subjects and still have it be philosophy. It just won't be any single branch of philosophy.

    So there, professional blogger person. I just justified my expansive topic base without disregarding your advice. Feel free to start awarding me medals.
     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment